What is a Superfood? If you are like me and you are honestly very confused as to why we are referring to certain foods as “super” and others just “food”….. then hopefully this will explain some things 🙂
Superfoods are foods that are rich in nutrients. (go figure)
These foods are mostly plant based and are thought to be nutritionally dense and in turn incredible for our health. A lot of dietitians and nutritionists have referred to superfoods as more of a marketing term for foods that have health benefits…. Marketing term or not, I can definitely get behind these yummy and healthy foods haha
Superfoods contain a variety of nutrients such as antioxidants that are thought to ward off disease, healthy fats thought to prevent heart disease, fiber that helps with digestive problems, and phytochemical- the chemicals in plants responsible for color and smell (which have numerous health benefits).
Some popular and well known superfoods include:
- Blueberries which are rich in vitamins, soluble fiber and phytochemicals.
- Kale, Spinach, Broccoli and most leafy greens are loaded with Vitamins A, C, and K as well as fiber, calcium and other minerals.
- Sweet Potatoes are quite popular right now mostly for the same reasons that leafy greens have always been popular “superfoods”. They are loaded with fiber, vitamin A AND are naturally sweet and don’t require butter, salt and additional unhealthy toppings.
- Beans are on the superfood list because they are a low-fat protein and contain insoluble fiber which lowers cholesterol, soluble fiber which provides a longer feeling of fullness AND loads of vitamins/minerals that are absent from most Americans diets.
- Nuts and seeds contain high levels of minerals and healthy fats. (important to eat in moderation as they are also high in calories)
- Acai berry, dragon fruit, and pomegranate also make the list of superfoods. Containing ellagic acid which helps prevent cancer. These fruits also help to reduce appetite AND they boost the health of your skin.
The last couple months I’ve had to pay very close attention to the things my body was telling me. My nutrition was all out of whack (which for someone who thought they were VERY healthy was terrifying). Slowly but surely I’m learning what my body is sensitive to and how much of certain foods it needs to feel strong, healthy and energized.
My mom’s been trying to get me to drink protein shakes or put protein in my smoothies for literally EVER. I’ve always hated it. I hated that I drank it and after an hour I was starving OR the hassle of actually making a smoothie (cause sometimes when I’m busy and on the go, I don’t want to get the blender out… call it lazy but WHATEVER).
Anyways- I have found some killer superfood shakes and they are seriously THE BEST. Antioxidants, vitamins, nutrients, pre and probiotics, Adaptogens AND I’ve been adding collagen to mine, after learning how freakin amazing it is for our bodies (which I wrote about here)
Some of those ingredients include well known superfoods and not so well known superfoods combining for a delicious and nutrient packed meal or even snack: Blueberry, Flax, Maca Root, Maitake, Lycium Berry, Pomegranate, Quinoa, and Matcha Green Tea
The benefits of superfood shakes OR even just eating superfoods in general are through the roof. The shake I drink is plant based and while these type of protein and nutrition shakes don’t work for everyone, (I have had to try plenty of different ones before finding one I actually enjoy) I am so incredibly grateful my body is getting the nutrients it so desperately needs and deserves.
Join the superfood train people…. It isn’t going anywhere and it’s only helping our bodies to remain strong and healthy.
Hope you feel SUPER today,